The flying site is located towards the south-east of Malta and forms part of an ex-RAF airfield, a stone frigate named H.M.S. Falcon. It was built in 1922 and served the British Empire until 1978, when it was passed to the Maltese Government.
The complex stopped being used as an airfield, but several structures found alternative use. The main runway is today used as a drag-racing strip. The control tower complex is used by the fire brigade and several huts still remain. The rest of the runways and connecting passages were altered into roads for the existing industrial estate area, but an aerial view will still show the airstrip footprint. If you would like to read more detailed history of about H.M.S. Falcon, and view several historic photos and plans, more information can be found in this website dedicated to forgotten airfields.
The area used by the H.F.M.F.A. for model aircraft flying measures approximately 500 feet long and 180 feet wide, and the orientation points to a South Easterly direction. This compliments nicely headwind model aircraft takeoffs and landings into the most common wind direction in the Maltese islands in all seasons, which is North Westerly wind (Maltese: Majjistral).
The following photo shows the Association’s flying site in relation to the footprint of the original airfield, the old runways and connecting paths can be clearly seen: